Document Type : Original Article
Chemical Injuries Research Center, Baqiyatallah University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Baqiyatallah Research Center of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Baqiyatallah University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Health Research Center, Baqiyatallah University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Background:Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) prevalence in patients with sulfur mustard (SM)-induced bronchiolitis obliterans (BO) is higher than exposed cases with mild lung injuries. In this study, we aimed to evaluate the prevalence of microaspirations using nuclear scintiscan among BO patients with SM exposure.
Methods: This was a prospective cross-sectional study conducted on patients with SM-induced BO and pulmonary symptom exacerbation referred to the Baqiyatallah Hospital, Tehran, Iran during the year 2009. Following the endoscopy-based diagnosis of GERD by a gastroenterologist, anti-reflux medications were withdrawn for 72 hours and then the patients underwent nuclear scintigraphy scan following 12 hour ingestion of fat containing food as radionuclide dinner. High resolution computed tomography (HRCT), spirometry and bronchoscopy were also performed for all patients.
Results: In this study, 39 patients (94.9% men) with mean (± SD) age of 45.1 ± 6.2 years were enrolled. The most common clinical complaints of the patients were thick sputum (97.4%) and dyspepsia (94.7%), followed by chest tightness (89.7%), nocturnal cough (82.1%), and nocturnal dyspnea (66.7%). In HRCT, air-trapping was the most common pulmonary finding (92.1%). In spirometry, mean (±SD) FEV1 and FEV1/FVC were 52.7 ± 22.4% and 70.4 ± 13.9%, respectively. In bronchoscopy, the most common finding was airway remodeling (62.2%), followed by false vocal cord hypertrophy (24.3%). In scintigraphic imaging, only 1 patient had a remarkable finding, in whom, the radionuclide material was seen in the pharynx (proximal GERD), but did not produce marked microaspiration of gastric substances into the airways.
Conclusion:Although previous reports demonstrated high prevalence of GERD and microaspiration in patients with SM-induced BO, we did not find remarkable evidence for microaspiration in scintiscan in patients included in this study.
How to cite this article: Ghazvini A, Karbasi A, Saburi A, Aliannejad R, Ghanei M. Pulmonary Scintiscan Findings in Sulfur Mustard Injured Patients Suspected for Gastroesophageal Reflux; a Descriptive Cross-Sectional Study. Asia Pac J Med Toxicol 2015;4:134-8.
- Sontag SJ. Gastroesophageal reflux disease and asthma. J Clin Gastroenterol 2000;30:S9-30.
- Ghanei M, A S. Gastro-Esophageal Reflux and Pulmonary Medicine; Where Are We and What Should We Do? J Pulmonar Respirat Med 2012;2:107.
- Emilsson OI, Bengtsson A, Franklin KA, Toren K, Benediktsdottir B, Farkhooy A, et al. Nocturnal gastroesophageal reflux, asthma and symptoms of obstructive sleep apnoea: a longitudinal, general population study. Eur Respir J 2013;41:1347-54.
- Blake K, Teague WG. Gastroesophageal reflux disease and childhood asthma. Curr Opin Pulm Med 2013;19:24-9.
- Hartwig MG, Davis RD. Gastroesophageal reflux disease-induced aspiration injury following lung transplantation. Curr Opin Organ Transplant 2012;17:474-8.
- Ghanei M, Harandi AA. Long term consequences from exposure to sulfur mustard: a review. Inhal Toxicol 2007;19:451-6.
- Saber H, Saburi A, Ghanei M. Clinical and paraclinical guidelines for management of sulfur mustard induced bronchiolitis obliterans; from bench to bedside. Inhal Toxicol 2012;24:900-6.
- Panahi Y, Poursaleh Z, Amini-Harandi A, Saburi A, Shohrati M, Ghanei M. Study on Effectiveness of Low Dose Theophylline as Add-on to Inhaled Corticosteroid for Patients with Sulfur Mustard Induced Bronchiolitis. Asia Pac J Med Toxicol 2013;2:126-30.
- Amini M, Oghabian Z. Late-onset Radiologic Findings of Respiratory System Following Sulfur Mustard Exposure. Asia Pac J Med Toxicol 2013;2:58-62.
- Ghanei M, Hosseini AR, Arabbaferani Z, Shahkarami E. Evaluation of chronic cough in chemical chronic bronchitis patients. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol 2005;20:6-10.
- Ghanei M, Khedmat H, Mardi F, Hosseini A. Distal esophagitis in patients with mustard-gas induced chronic cough. Dis Esophagus 2006;19:285-8.
- Hartwig MG, Appel JZ, Davis RD. Antireflux surgery in the setting of lung transplantation: strategies for treating gastroesophageal reflux disease in a high-risk population. Thorac Surg Clin 2005;15:417-27.
- Patra S, Singh V, Chandra J, Kumar P, Tripathi M. Diagnostic modalities for gastro-esophageal reflux in infantile wheezers. J Trop Pediatr 2011;57:99-103.
- Aliannejad R, Hashemi-Bajgani S-M, Karbasi A, Jafari M, Aslani J, Salehi M, et al. GERD related micro-aspiration in chronic mustard-induced pulmonary disorder. J Res Med Sci. 2012;17:777-81.
- Decalmer S, Stovold R, Houghton LA, Pearson J, Ward C, Kelsall A, et al. Chronic cough: relationship between microaspiration, gastroesophageal reflux, and cough frequency. Chest 2012;142:958-64.
- Ervine E, McMaster C, McCallion W, Shields MD. Pepsin measured in induced sputum--a test for pulmonary aspiration in children? J Pediatr Surg 2009;44:1938-41.
- Farhath S, He Z, Nakhla T, Saslow J, Soundar S, Camacho J, et al. Pepsin, a marker of gastric contents, is increased in tracheal aspirates from preterm infants who develop bronchopulmonary dysplasia. Pediatrics 2008;121:e253-9.
- Fiorucci S, Distrutti E, Di Matteo F, Brunori P, Santucci L, Mallozzi E, et al. Circadian variations in gastric acid and pepsin secretion and intragastric bile acid in patients with reflux esophagitis and in healthy controls. Am J Gastroenterol 1995;90:270-6.
- Fujimoto K, Yamaguchi S, Urushibata K, Koizumi T, Kubo K. Sputum eosinophilia and bronchial responsiveness in patients with chronic non-productive cough responsive to anti-asthma therapy. Respirology 2003;8:168-74.
- Grabowski M, Kasran A, Seys S, Pauwels A, Medrala W, Dupont L, et al. Pepsin and bile acids in induced sputum of chronic cough patients. Respir Med 2011;105:1257-61.
- Pierson DJ. Clinical practice guidelines for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a review and comparison of current resources. Respir Care 2006;51:277-88.
- Tutuian R, Mainie I, Agrawal A, Adams D, Castell DO. Nonacid reflux in patients with chronic cough on acid-suppressive therapy. Chest 2006;130:386-91.
- Tutuian R, Vela MF, Hill EG, Mainie I, Agrawal A, Castell DO. Characteristics of symptomatic reflux episodes on Acid suppressive therapy. Am J Gastroenterol 2008;103:1090-6.
- Holbrook JT, Wise RA, Gold BD, Blake K, Brown ED, Castro M, et al. Lansoprazole for children with poorly controlled asthma: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2012;307:373-81.
- Littner MR, Leung FW, Ballard ED 2nd, Huang B, Samra NK, Lansoprazole Asthma Study Group. Effects of 24 weeks of lansoprazole therapy on asthma symptoms, exacerbations, quality of life, and pulmonary function in adult asthmatic patients with acid reflux symptoms. Chest 2005;128:1128-35.
- Sharma B, Sharma M, Daga MK, Sachdev GK, Bondi E. Effect of omeprazole and domperidone on adult asthmatics with gastroesophageal reflux. World J Gastroenterol 2007;13:1706-10.
- Knight J, Lively MO, Johnston N, Dettmar PW, Koufman JA. Sensitive pepsin immunoassay for detection of laryngopharyngeal reflux. Laryngoscope 2005;115:1473-8.
- Karbasi A, Goosheh H, Aliannejad R, Saber H, Salehi M, Jafari M, et al. Pepsin and bile acid concentrations in sputum of mustard gas exposed patients. Saudi J Gastroenterol 2013;19:121-5.
- Patterson RN, Johnston BT, Ardill JE, Heaney LG, McGarvey LP. Increased tachykinin levels in induced sputum from asthmatic and cough patients with acid reflux. Thorax 2007;62:491-5.
- Ruth M, Carlsson S, Mansson I, Bengtsson U, Sandberg N. Scintigraphic detection of gastro-pulmonary aspiration in patients with respiratory disorders. Clin Physiol 1993;13:19-33.
- Jadcherla SR. Upstream effect of esophageal distention: effect on airway. Curr Gastroenterol Rep 2006;8:190-4.
- Mansfield LE, Hameister HH, Spaulding HS, Smith NJ, Glab N. The role of the vague nerve in airway narrowing caused by intraesophageal hydrochloric acid provocation and esophageal distention. Ann Allergy 1981;47:431-4.
- Bingol Boz A, Aydn F, Celmeli F, Boz A, Artan R, Gungor F. Does gastroesophageal reflux scintigraphy correlate with clinical findings in children with chronic cough? Nucl Med Commun 2009;30:802-6.
- Saber H, Ghanei M. Extra-esophageal manifestations of gastroesophageal reflux disease: controversies between epidemiology and clinic. Open Respir Med J 2012;6:121-6.