Document Type : Original Article
Department of Physiology, College of Health Sciences, Osun State University, Osogbo, Osun State
2. Department of Physiology, Faculty of Basic Medical and Health Sciences, College of Health Sciences, Bowen University, Iwo, Osun State, Nigeria.
3. Department of Public Health, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria
2. Department of Physiology, Faculty of Basic Medical and Health Sciences, College of Health Sciences, Bowen University, Iwo, Osun State, Nigeria
Background: Nicotine is a potential cause of male infertility due to its ability to induce testicular damage. This study investigated the influence of Basella Alba (BA) on possible nicotine-induced testicular damage.
Methods: Twenty male Wistar rats were divided into four random groups namely; healthy control (HC) in which rats were administered only normal saline, Nicotine control (NC) which received high dose nicotine only (1.0mg/kg), Low dose nicotine, Basella Alba treatment group (LDN + BA) given nicotine (0.5mg/kg) plus methanol extract of Basella Alba (200mg/kg) and High dose nicotine, Basella Alba treatment group (HDN + BA) in which rats received nicotine (1.0mg/kg) plus Basella Alba extract (200mg/kg). Rats were euthanized via exsanguination after five weeks of treatment and testes extracted for histological analysis. Blood samples were also analyzed for gonadal hormones.
Results: There was a significant decline (p<0.05) in body weight, testicular weight, and serum testosterone but elevated follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH) in NC rats when compared with HC. Rats in LDN + BA and HDN + BA showed a significant increase (p<0.05) in serum testosterone and a corresponding decrease (p<0.05) in FSH and LH levels when compared to rats in NC. Additionally, testicular photomicrographs revealed significant histoarchitectural distortions in NC rats when compared to HC. These anomalies were found to be either milder or absent in LDN + BA and HDN + BA groups.
Conclusions: Nicotine induces both structural and functional testicular damage that is ameliorated by Basella Alba possibly due to the high antioxidant composition.
- Azad AK, Wan Azizi WS, Babar ZM, Labu ZK, Zabin S. An Overview on Phytochemical, Anti-Inflammatory and Anti-Bacterial Activity of Basella Alba Leaves Extract. Middle-East Journal of Scientific Research. 2013; 14 (5): 650-655.
- Reshmi SK, Aravindhan KM, Suganya DP. Antioxidant analysis of betacyanin extracted from Basella Alba International Journal of Pharm. Tech. Research. 2012; 4: 900-913.
- Bamidele O, Akinnuga AM, Olorunfemi JO, Odetola OA, Oparaji CK, Ezeigbo N. Effects of aqueous extract of Basella Alba leaves on haematological and biochemical parameters in albino rats. African Journal of Biotechnology. 2010; 9(41): 6952-6955.
- Moundipa PF, Beboy NSE, Zelefack F, Ngouela S, Tsamo E, Schill W et al., Effect of hibiscus macranthus and Basella Alba on testosterone production of adult rats and bull Leydig cells. Asian J Androl. 2005; 7(4):411-417.
- Venkatalakshmi P, Senthamaraiselvi V. Anti-ulcer effect of Basella Alba leaf extract in Aspirin induced Albino rats. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2012; 3: 2539-2542
- Anandarajagopal K, Sudhahar D, Ajaykumar TV, Muthukumaran G. Evaluation of CNS Depressant Activity of Aerial Parts of Basella Alba Linn. IJPI J. Toxicol. 2011; 1:5.
- Sushila R, Deepti A, Permender R, Madhavi T, Dharmender R. Cytotoxic and antibacterial activity of Basella Alba whole plant: a relatively unexplored plant. Pharmacologyonline. 2010; 3:651-658.
- Oyeyipo IP, Raji Y, Emikpe BO, Bolarinwa AF. Effects of nicotine on sperm characteristics and fertility profile in adult male rats: a possible role of cessation. J Reprod Infertil. 2011; 12(3): 201-207
- El-Sokkary GH, Cuzzocrea S, Reiter RJ. Effect of chronic nicotine administration on the rat lung and liver: Beneficial role of melatonin. 2007; 239: 60-67.
- Humphrey P. Rang, Maureen M. Dale, James M. Ritter, Rod Flower. Rang & Dale's Pharmacology with STUDENT CONSULT Online Access; An edition of Rang & Dale's pharmacology: Churchill Livingstone; 2007
- Cosci F, Pistelli F, Lazzarini N, Carrozzi L. Nicotine dependence and psychological distress: outcomes and clinical implications in smoking cessation. Psychology Research and Behaviour Management. 2011; 4:119-128.
- Maryam M, Shapour H, Mazdak R. Nicotine-induced damages in testicular tissue of rats; evidences for bcl-2, p53 and caspase-3 expression. Iran J Basic Med Sci. 2017; 20(2): 199–208.
- Hassan A, Abo-Azma SM, Fayed S, Mostafa T. Seminal plasma cotinine and insulin-like growth factor-I in idiopathic oligoasthenoteratozoospermic smokers. Br J Urol Int. 2009; 103:108–111.
- Elshal MF, El-Sayed IH, Elsaied MA, El-Masry SA, Kumosani TA. Sperm head defects and disturbances in spermatozoa chromatin and DNA integrities in idiopathic infertile subjects: Association with cigarette smoking. Clin Biochem. 2009; 42: 589-594.
- Anderson D, Laforge J, Ross MM, Vanlangendonck R, Hasoon J, Viswanath O, Kaye AD, Urits I. Male Sexual Dysfunction. Health Psychol Res. 2022; 20; 10 (3):37533.
- Schulster M, Bernie AM, Ramasamy R. The role of estradiol in male reproductive function. Asian J Androl. 2016; 18(3): 435-40. doi: 10.4103/1008-682X.173932.
- Nanita EA, Travert C, Manfo FT, Carreau S, Monsees TK, Moundipa FP. Effects of the methanol extract of Basella Alba L (Basellaceae) on steroid production in Leydig cells. Int J Mol Sci. 2011; 12(1): 376-384.
- Edouard A.N, Carine T, Faustin-Pascal T., Manfo, S.C, Thomas K.M, Paul F.M. Effects of the Methanol Extract of Basella Alba L (Basellaceae) on Steroid Production in Leydig Cells. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2011; 12 (1): 376 – 384.
- Bamidele O, Arokoyo DS, Akinnuga AM, Oluwarole AO. Antidiabetic effect of aqueous extract of Basella Alba leaves and metformin in alloxan‑induced diabetic albino rats. Afr J Biotechnol 2014; 13: 2455‑8.
- World Medical Association. American Physiological Society. Guiding principles for research involving animals and human beings. American Journal of Physiology Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology. 2002; 283: 281-283.
- Iloki-Assanga SB, Lewis-Lujan LM, Lara-Espinora CL, Gil-Salido AA, Fernandez-Angulo D, Rubio-Pino JL et al., Solvent effects on phytochemical, constituent profiles and antioxidant activities using four different extraction formulations for analysis of Bucida buceras L. and Phoradendron californicum. BMC Res Notes. 2015; 8:396
- Audi SS, Abraham ME, Borker AS. Effect of cigarette smoke on body weight, food intake and reproductive organs in adult albino rats. Indian J. Exp. Biol. 2006; 44: 562–565.
- Ijomone OM, Olaibia OK, Nwohaa PU. Effects of chronic nicotine administration on body weight, food intake and nitric oxide concentration in female and male rats. Pathophysiology. 2014; 2: 185–190.
- Zorrilla EP, Conti B. Interleukin-18 null mutation increases weight and food intake and reduces energy expenditure and lipid substrate utilization in high-fat diet fed mice. Brain Behav Immun 2014; 37:45–53.
- Arokoyo DS, Oyeyipo IP, Du Plessis SS, Chegou NN, Aboua YG. Modulation of Inflammatory Cytokines and Islet Morphology as Therapeutic Mechanisms of Basella Alba in Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetic Rats. Toxicol Res. 2018; 34 (4): 325-332.
- Bamidele O., Arokoyo D.S., Akinnuga A.M., Oluwarole A.O.. Antidiabetic effect of Aqueous extract of Basella Alba leaves and Metformin in Alloxan-Induced Diabetic Albino Rats. Africa Journal of Biotechnology. 2014; 13: 2455-2458
- Eliana F.O., Paulo C.S., Milton C.C. Stability of anthocyanin in spinach vine (Basella rubra) fruits. Cien. Inv.Agr. 2007; 34(2): 115-120.
- Jana K, Samanta PK, De Kumar D. Nicotine diminishes testicular gametogenesis, steroidogenesis, and steroidogenic acute regulatory protein expression in adult albino rats: possible influence on pituitary gonadotropins and alteration of testicular antioxidant status. Toxicological Sciences. 2010; 116(2): 647-659.
- Li S, Lu D, Zhang Y, Zhang Y. Long-term treatment of hydrogen-rich saline abates testicular oxidative stress induced by nicotine in mice. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2014; 31 (1): 109-14.
- Mosbah R, Yousef MI, Mantovani A. Nicotine-induced reproductive toxicity, oxidative damage, histological changes and haematotoxicity in male rats: the protective effects of green tea extract. Exp Toxicol Pathol. 2015; 67 (3): 253-9.
- Arokoyo DS, Oyeyipo IP, Du Plessis, Aboua YG. Antioxidant activities of Basella Alba aqueous leave extract in blood, pancreas, and gonadal tissues of diabetic male wistar rats. Pharmacognosy Res. 2018; 10(1): 31-36.
- Oyeyipo IP, Raji Y, Bolarinwa AF. Nicotine alters male reproductive hormones in male albino rats: The role of cessation. J Hum Reprod Sci. 2013; 6(1): 40-44.